The right view visible

Today, as part of our recreation, my husband and I could finally disassemble the thick beams that has served as scaffolding under the ceiling since the fall of 2012. Finally we have accomplished all tasks for which we have needed those beams to sit or stand on. Here You see Lärkan having started out to saw them in to pieces. He had measured how much he would have to cut them to enable us to take them down. When we put them up there was no roof, but now he had to do some figuring to get them down. On this first picture You see the first long beam coming out through one of the windows near the entrance.

100_0669

 

Lärkan continued to saw the beams in pieces. Soon it was time for another long one to come down and out, this time through the opened altar window:

100_0681

 

Finally he had sawed apart the last beam:

100_0684

After this effort the view when coming into the chapel, looking up, is this:

100_0686

Sealing from drafts

The latter few days my husband and I have been doing something that we ought to have done long ago… Now it is late both in the building process and in the year for this kind of effort. But better late than never. We have sealed some gaps high up from drafts.

Lärkan blames himself for not having built with less gaps where the walls meets the roof. But he is doing a great job taking so much responsability for the woodwork in the building process of this chapel and other buildings we have created. He is not a builder – he is a video editor! But he has developed a lot of “know-how” during our few years up here in the wilderness. Anyhow, there were some gaps that we have spoken about to try to seal. And of course it would have been better to have this done before the walls or sealing was painted. But the latter few days we have done a good job sealing.  And You can imagine what we seal with, right?

100_0661

 

Above Lärkan by the temporary kerosene heater is pulling some sheep wool into smaller “pieces” as a preparation for the next step of the work:

100_0663

 

Here he has climbed up the ladder, sitting on the  building beams still up in the center of the ceiling. Here he is dipping the wool in clay soup. Then he handed the sticky weather strip to me:

100_0660

 

On this last picture You see what I did with it:

100_0666

 

The result of our effort was obvious right away; all the cold draft was stopped. And we did actually manage to do all this sealing without drippings of clay soup on the beautiful painted walls. Now the warmth that is produced by candles, ourselves, the heater we use so far, and the future permanent fireplace will have much better chances to stay in the chapel  : )

Vindy sunday, securing the cupola

Yesterday we had a wonderful trip to the Convent of St. Philotei, The sisters had worked wonders – again – with the piece of land and the development of the convent. Today, back home, we have a day of rest. But again it is a very windy day. In average 11 meters per second, but in the gusts of wind probably a lot more. Lärkan was worried about the cupola, and even though it is a Sunday we wanted to do some more attachments of the lantern and cupola – something we have been thinking of doing since we put it up a few days ago, but still had not come around to do.

This is how it looked when I walked up to the chapel a few minutes after Lärkan, I zoomed in on the cupola so You can clearly  see his head through the windows of the lantern:

100_0602

From the inside it looked like this when he sealed with silicone some more:

100_0604

A strange view! Not Christ looking down but Lärkan! Even though I am very happy about looking at my husband that I love, it was not the expected sight looking upwards. When he had climbed down, again the view is the one I am overwhelmed with joy when looking up  at:

100_0612

We will soon be able to take the scaffolding planks down, I just have to climb up and paint some white paint on some screw heads that we had to put in since we changed the plan of attaching everything. We – as You saw the other day – attached the icon first and the cupola afterwards;  in two pieces. The construction was designed for the board to be attached first and then the cupola with the board on it, all in one piece to be put up. But we decided  that that would be too risky and that the icon probably would be damaged if we had done it that way. As You read the other day the cupola successfully came up after the icon, but the result was that there had to be some screws through the board up into the “garlic dome”. Not through the icon, but at the white edges of the canvas and board.  As soon as I have painted the screw heads we will take down the scaffolding planks. Then the view looking up in the tiny chapel will be a lot more radiant! The blessed gift from the sisters at the Convent of St. Philotei, this icon of Christ Pantocrator, will be as overshadowing as could be desired.